COMMUNITY SAFETY Series
by Constable Steve Holmes
Late at night, a police officer is dispatched to a residential break-and-enter in progress. Upon arrival, the officer finds that the culprits are gone and the shaken homeowner states that the three males in dark clothing took off across his backyard. The quick-thinking officer calls on his radio:
“Dispatch, this is Alpha one. Do we have a dog available?”
“10-4 Alpha one. Echo 5 and Grief are on their way to your location.”
Within minutes, Echo 5, which is the Police Services Dog vehicle, arrives with the two very eager officers, the dog handler, and his dog Grief. The investigating officer updates the dog handler as to where the suspects were last seen and their last known direction of travel. The officer has also advised other police units in the area who, by now, have set up in a box pattern in the vicinity of the home to ensure the suspects don’t get far. Continue reading
“Hi! My name is Slate and I’m nine years old. I play on two baseball teams, Rampage and The Giants. Rampage is a ‘Super League Travel Team’ and we play a couple of games on Saturdays as far away as 120 miles from where I live. On my Giants team, we play at home against other teams in my town. Both teams prepare me to be on the All-Star team for my age group, after our final tournaments are over for the season.
Other sports I like to play are football and basketball. I play football on the school field with my friends. I have a hoop in my backyard to play basketball, and I also go to a church that is close to our house because it has a full-sized court.” Continue reading
Welcome to the Recycling Depot & Education Center. This is where folks come to drop off their recycling and learn how they can help take care of their community. Today we are learning about Recycling Plastic Shopping Bags.
The recycling depot takes empty, used plastic bags from the recycle bin. They wash them, dry them, and chop them up. Then, a special liquid is mixed in called ‘resin’. The bags are then melted into pellets which are sold to manufacturers. Continue reading
BAZOOF! Magazine has lots of fun facts in every issue! Here are some interesting ones about how your body works and the foods you eat!
Did You Know?
- Your brain is sometimes more active when you’re asleep than when you’re awake.
- Babies don’t shed tears until they’re at least one month old.
- The human heart beats more than three billion times in an average lifespan.
- Human teeth are just as strong as shark teeth!
- Humans are the only species known to blush.
- The banana is not a fruit, it is an herb.
- Strawberries contain more vitamin C in them than oranges.
- Goat’s milk is more popular around the world than cow’s milk.
- Rice is the main food for half of the world’s population.
- Ancient carrots were the color purple instead of orange.