- gingerbread man cookie cutter
- icing kit (or put icing in a resealable plastic bag and snip a tiny hole at the end)
- icing of your choice
- sprinkles and candies
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 Tbsps vinegar
- 1 beaten egg
- 5 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
Step 1: Bring shortening, sugar, molasses and vinegar to a boil.
Step 2: Cool. Add egg.
Step 3: Mix dry ingredients together.
Step 4: Add to egg mixture gradually. Dough will be moist. Chill.
Step 6: Roll dough out between 1/4 – 1/2 inch thick and cut out gingerbread men (dip cutter into flour each time).
Step 7: Place men on cookie sheet with space for them to expand.
Step 8: Bake at 350° for 7-8 minutes (or a little longer if you’d like them snappy).
Step 9: Makes about 2-3 dozen men.
Step 10: When the cookies have completely cooled, use your favorite icing for decorating them.
- Place iced cookie over a flat dish to catch the extra sprinkles.
- Quickly spoon sprinkles over the cookie while the icing is still wet.
- Then carefully tip the cookie upside down over the dish to remove extra sprinkles.
- If covering the cookie completely with icing, first outline the cooking with a row of icing, and then fill it in.
Send B! a Recipe
Baking and decorating is a lot of fun! If you have a favorite recipe, send it to BAZOOF! and we’ll share it with readers and visitors like you.